This past weekend I attended a dear friend's wedding so, naturally, I had to make her a card. I mean, what kind of a card maker would I be if I went back to buying them at the store? ;o)
My goal was to create something simple and elegant. I recently purchased a really nice matstack from Die Cuts with a View that includes several glitter pieces. I found one in a two-toned grey damask print that I felt really had a wedding feel to it and I adhered that to the front of my card base after trimming it down.
For my focal image I used another piece of cardstock from that same matstack, except this one was a plain light grey. I trimmed it down to 2" by 2.75", the same size as my mini Cuttlebug folder. I used one of the folders from the Wedding Marriage set, and ran it through my Cuttlebug (yes I DID finally get a Cuttlebug. I will have to do a blog post about all the nifty things I've recently gotten!).
Then I got to play with some of my new heat embossing toys, err, tools to add the sentiment. I used a stamp from the Fiskars "Toss the Bouquet" clear stamp set that simply said "Congrats!", stamped it with VersaMark ink, then used Zing! silver metallic embossing power and my heat tool.
To finish off the focal image, I then rounded the corners very slightly and matted it on a piece of grey cardstock that was slightly darker than the image. I mounted this to the card front with 1/4" dimensional adhesive. I felt there was just something missing, so I added a Martha Stewart white mini pearl to the four corners of the focal image. The front of the card ended up looking like this.
Unfortunately I really don't have a good enough camera to take the great pictures I would like, so you really can't even see the glitter in the background paper, but I think it looks much fancier in person. Here's a close up of the focal image:
For the inside I simply mounted a piece of the same paper I created the focal image with on the right hand side. I did this for two reasons. One, the card base wasn't as thick as I would have liked so it really made the card sturdier. And two, it was a lighter color than the card base, therefore making it easier to read the message I ended up writing on it. Since I was pretty plain, I also applied Martha Stewart mini pearls to the four corners here as well.
This card was a "money" card, so I actually ended up creating a pocket on the inside left using another piece of the glitter paper that I had used for the outside. I just cut it down to be 4.25" by 3" and rounded just one corner. This technique is also good if you're giving a gift card instead of cash. Just remember to only apply adhesive on two of the sides (I put it on the left side and the bottom). When it was mounted to the inside it looked like this:
The one last step to complete the card was to add one of the stamps from a set from My Sentiments Exactly that are designed for the back of a card. I used VersaMark ink and Zing! black embossing powder to add my cheeky touch.
Now I just hope my friend liked it when she opened it!